Thursday 15 November 2007

Questions, questions, questions....


I would've loved to blog about the abundance of herbs in my kitchen today, but alas, I've just returned from a grocery shopping trip and found that every single shop in this city only has chives and basil! I need to buy a lot of new herb pots because some greenish bugs have eaten my basil and destroyed big parts of other herbs. However, this means I've got a reason to stroll around the farmer's market tomorrow.

Ok, me too!

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
the whole "Swiss" grain milk selection, especially the oatmilk

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Veganomicon creamy tomato soup and chickpea cutlets, Vegan Lunchbox croissants

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Salt and nutritional yeast

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Apart from my first attempts in Thai cooking which were all disastrous?
Every single vegan pancake recipe except the one in VwaV.

5. Favorite pickled item?
Ginger

6. How do you organize your recipes?
Not at all... I've got a small book into which I write most recipes. It's 7/8 full and I'm not quite sure what to do with it afterwards.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
I'd love to compost, but it's not an option where I live.

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
Bok Choi, Sweet Chilli sauce, hummus

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Certainly cooking with grandma, especially the annual cookie baking weekend before Xmas.

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
I've only tried vegan ice cream once as I'm more of a sorbet person. Don't know which brand it was because it was at a restaurant *gasp*

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
my rice cooker

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
garlic and basil

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
a tiny, zine-like kid's cooking book I bought from my pocket money when I was six years old. It's surprisingly veg-friendly and contains mainly whole-food recipes.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
black currant!

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Thai curry with bok choy, mushrooms, tofu and coconut milk- but actually, all my omni friends are easy to please and not afraid to try any vegan "specialities"

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Seitan

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Simple pasta dishes at midnight. My mom hates me for that.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Do all American people have giant freezers? Mine is only about 4 feet high and holds my eletric kettle.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
haven't got a freezer *gasp again*

20. What's on your grocery list?
fresh herbs, soymilk, tempeh, canned tomatoes, white wine, bananas

21. Favorite grocery store?
the amazing Turkish grocery store round the corner. I try to rely on retail chains as little as possible. Plus, ethical shops have a better selection and are cheaper (except for Japanese ones).

22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
profiteroles

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Urban Vegan, Get Sconed! and www.bentoyum.com

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
white rice milk chocolate

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
a selection of flavour extracts for baking

No comments: