Tuesday 25 December 2007

Grandma's potato soup



The most evil time is over, yay! After living off cookies and curries yesterday, I thought Christmas would be another occasion to follow my heritage and make a soup (as I may have mentioned before, neither my mother nor my grandma were great cooks, but they're ace at making soups and stews).

This is my try at grandma's traditional German potato soup... unfortunately, all the sausages have sunk to the ground...

For two people, you'll need:

3-4 huge potatoes
(I used seven or eight tiny ones as big organic spuds are unavailable here at the moment)
1 onion
1 clove garlic
vegetable broth
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon mustard (real Düsseldorfer is best, but any other will do, as well)
2 tofu/seitan/whatever wieners
nutmeg, salt, pepper

Sauté the coarsly chopped garlic and onion in some olive oil.
Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks, add to the pot and sauté for three more minutes.

Add vegetable broth - just enough to have everything covered, bring to a boil and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Blend everything to a smooth soup and put it back on the stove.
Add the soy milk, mustard and spices.
Cut the wieners and add them to the soup, let simmer for five more minutes.

This is best eaten with some fresh bread rolls.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

HAHAHA you said "wieners." I know what you mean about veg sausages but, in America, wieners is slang for penis. Yay wieners! Glückliches neues Jahr!! Happy New Year!!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, I love potatoes! I think I should make this soup. :)

Dylan said...

Very thoughtful bblog