Sunday 27 January 2008

Chickpeas, cherries and some Indian



That's what the post is about. This week I stuck to my plan to spend less on buying groceries. I love to buy whatever looks great and then come home and remember that I'm usually only cooking for myself. So I end up with lots of veggies and fruit to throw aways and a billion opened packages of rice, pasta, quinoa and whatnot.

Last week I only spent about 10 € on groceries, and that's part of what I made of it.

Almond-cherry muffins from VWAV. I had run of plain soymilk, and of course fresh cherries were not an option, so I used part strawberry soymilk and part cherry juice from the jar which gave iit a lovely pink touch.

Second was the Chickpea romesco from V-con. I had expected something good because it uses a lot of my favourite foods- and I even left out the booze and it turned out, um, saucy. Had it with plain couscous.



Yesterday I also made a batch of chickpea noodle soup. This has become such a standard soup in my kitchen- thank you, Isa!


But the winner of the week was an Indian dish- what else?
I slightly modified a recipe from a German forum, and what you get is

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Indian-European cauliflower
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 small head cauliflower, in florets
1 medium-sized onion, sliced
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 red chili, chopped
an inch-sized piece of ginger, minced

1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mustards seeds
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt (or less, if you're a salt hater)

In a wok, heat up some vegetable oil or vegan ghee.
Add the onions and sauté until slightly crispy. Add the ginger, chili and spices except the salt.

After a minute, add the cauliflower and sauté for about three minutes. Turn down the heat, add the tomatoes, salt and let sit for 5-8 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender ( I prefer mine crunchy).

Serve with rice and some chopped curly parsley (yes, it's actually good with it!).

Simple, spicy, satisfying.

2 comments:

Seitan Wörshipper said...

really nice! I made also cherry-oatmeal-red berry muffins on yesterday! Tey were wery good(my omnivorous littelbrother love them too!).
But that why i`m now writing there is that previous post where I were asking that gyoza recipe, I think it must be great help if you couold sent that recipe or some other tips to me via e-mail? I`m littel nerveous because i really like to made good food for that friend who is coming to visit, and I want to show I really can made some authentic,good japanese style vegan food.. I think you can put some message in my blog, then I will send you my e-mail address? thanks again ;)

bazu said...

You've made me very, very hungry! I'm going to make a pot of soup today, thanks to your inspiration.