Saturday 10 May 2008

Nothing's gonna stop me making bento...

... but proper cooking is a completely different thing.

Seriously, I wonder how people manage to come up with awesome blog post on a daily basis or even every other day.
I don't mean to moan on here, but I have trouble even posting once a week and it makes me feel like a bad blogger. I'd love to be more active in the community, but I simply don't have the spare time.

Let's be honest- how do you do it?
It can't be that all bloggers are students or stay-at-home moms, right.
I'm out of the house from 8-8 on weekdays, so there's simply no time to try awesome new recipes every night, as much as I'd like to.

Anyway, here are some recent bento:


leftover yakisoba (see last post for the recipe), carrot sticks, an orange and some berry soy yoghurt.

traditional Japanese bento, though a bit protein-less... sticky rice with an umeboshi, sesame spinach, an orange, marinated mushrooms and scallions and some apple pieces in the bunny.
another lazy one... rice with sesame and soy/mushroom sauce, peach slices and leftover veggie stir-fry.

And look what arrived in the mail the other day!

I did a little swap with another blogging Stephanie (who throws awesome blog parties and mail blogging thingies that I don't really understand) who sent me, among other stuff, this ginormous bento... I think it holds about 5000 ml and comes with a lovely bag, just perfect for picnics and the like (though I consider scaring me coworkers and bringing it along as my lunchbox XD)... I plan on using this for our Japan day picnic.

Right, only four more weeks until Japan day, my favourite holiday (in my book, it's an annual holiday, all right? Just like Christopher Street Day and World Vegan Day and Bochum Total rock festival and Veggie Street day in Dortmund)!


16 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

No worries - just post when you can!! I too wonder how people can post everyday, or even multiple times per day - kudos to them! :0)

Love your bento boxes!!

Alicia said...

I post every other day, and think it's enough! And don't say you don't cook great dishes during the week please, just have a look at those bento boxes...

Anonymous said...

I'm with veggiegirl - just post when you can! No written rules saying you have to do so every day in fact, I'd take a good weekly post over a slapped together daily post any day! Thanks!

Aimee said...

Many, many people (including me) would be duly impressed by your bento creations. No worries, my dear!!

Amy said...

I am a stay at home Mum and I still struggle to post a few times a month. With a husband and 3 kids to cook for, quick and easy weeknight repeats are always on the table and by the weekend I'm too tired to bother :P

I just enjoy reading your updates as they come, it doesn't matter if it's a day, a week or a month :)

Your bento looks yummy!

Catherine Weber said...

Steffi, don't give yourself a hard time about posting! I take a "post when I can" attitude -- sometimes I post a lot, sometimes hardly at all.

I love all of your cute bento boxes -- I should really get some. My students would go crazy over them!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I am guilty of thinking up my blog posts while I’m in class, out running, in the car, or while I’m walking dogs. That way, I only need a few minutes when I get home to transfer my thoughts into words on the screen. Even still, it IS sometimes hard to post so much!
I love the bento pictures—keep ‘em coming! Bentos are one of my favorite ways to pack lunch; eating a bento lunch reminds me of when I was a little girl in Japan and my mom would send me to school with a bento lunch every day :o).

Kyle said...

Are you serious? I don't know how YOU do it. All those awesome bentos....

It looks like you make 4 recipes per night and stuff them in a little box!

The new foods I make can't compare to yours. I'm jealous of your bento, Steffi. I am not creative enough to put together so many yummy foods in one day!

:D

Alicia said...

Hi Steffi,

thanks for the links! I had seen the website before, but I totally missed the page about the Vegan Brunch!

If you want to come to Darmstadt and Frankfurt you're more than welcome! I'm going to Spain this Friday until the 27th of May, but afterwards I'm all yours!

Erin said...

I'm agreeing with the other commenters, don't stress about it! I don't think the blog frequency police are coming after you any time soon. I work a full time job but pretty much have weeknights free to cook, so I try to post a couple times a week. At least you've got enough time to pack up some food to take along with you. The new "huge" bento looks nice, you should definitely find excuses to pack it full.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

Yeah, definitely what they said! a blog is only worthwhile if it's fun for you! Your new bento is awesome, too. I went to chinatown yesterday to look for one but I couldn't find any... ah well. That one will be perfect for picnics!

bazu said...

I definitely think it's quality over quantity. I used to feel that I had to blog every single thing that I made or ate, but I've relaxed a lot in the past few months!

One thing I've learned is, if I have photos ready to go in Flickr, it makes blogging a whole lot easier and quicker.

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

I love bentos! They're so cute.

dreamy said...

Your lazy recipes are still much better than mine, I just dump everything in a pot and cook if I have to :p

Ciyou said...

food at bento box looks great. I think I will start to do my bento box for lunch, but just cannot wake up at the morning

Par said...

Thats a beautiful bento box!