Saturday 3 November 2007

Still Vegan-NO-micon T_T




After amazon.de has been playing with me for the past weeks, saying Veganomicon will be delivered on 30 October, then postponing the whole thing for an entire month. Yes, I received a mail from them saying it won't be in Germany until December.


And guess who ran the doorbell why I was grocery shopping this morning?
DHL, with the book... they never ever come that early.
So I have to pick the book up at the post office Monday night... what a drag, especially when I'm thinking that I won't have any time to read or even cook something from the book before Sunday next week!

Anyway, I managed to try a lot of new things this week.

I bought a German vegetarian Thai book some weeks ago and didn't get try much from it, but made this flashy mushroom soup earlier this week.

for 4 servings: 300g mushrooms 1 tsp lemongrass paste (to spare you the process of cutting the woody lemongrass) 1/2 tsp green curry paste 1 eagle-eye chili some grated ginger 1 small can coconut milk 2 cups vegetable broth soy sauce and coriander leaves Sauté the lemongrass, curry paste, chili and ginger in some peanut oil until fragrant. Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and add sliced mushrooms. Let simmer for five more minutes. Add some soy sauce if you want it saltier and garnish with coriander leaves.

I bought a butternut squash last week because I decided it's time to make friend with the good ol' pumpkin for halloween. My childhood was pumpkin-free and when eating out, I never really found anything with it that I liked. That's changed now, thanks to a collegue making a wicked soup with it and the amazing curry recipe from bentoyumyum
which is the best bento site ever (of course I substituted veg broth for the beef boullion).

To get away from all this Asian fare for a change, I made seitan bourgignon
with the seitan based on the seitan steak from... ugh, I don't remember!
Anyway, I had to use less liquid because it all had to fit in my small countertop oven, that's why it turned not as stewy-as supposed. I'll try it again sometime but then on the stove.










No comments: